Friday, April 1, 2011

Leigh Stein: a young poet bringin' the lolz

So, I really love Leigh Stein's work. Her blog, "Mythical Creatures," is FULL of goodies.

This poem is especially wonderful:

SECOND DISPATCH FROM THE FUTURE

I am wearing my librarian costume.
Yes, I saved it from the fires.

In the future, when we say antiquity, we mean
state fairs and musicals. We mean affairs

of state, amusement. You left me a message
to say you were sad but you understood
which state I was coming from and I’m wondering

now which state you meant. West of us?
Or did you mean a state of mind?

I don’t have states of mind, I only have sweater sets.

I get dressed up and then I undress. I’d show you,
but this is a dispatch, I’m the dispatcher.

The calls come into my call center and
it’s my job to say, what’s the future

of your emergency?

Our new state flag is an aurochs,
not to celebrate extinction, but

to celebrate the wild part of us that died
in 1627. They moved her skull to Stockholm.

I wear my state flag like a dress.

____________________________


For National Poetry Month, she writes on her blog, "For National Poetry Month, I will be writing/posting poems using dialogue from reality TV shows. Please to enjoy."


AWESOME. Ryan, I'm lookin' at you to AWESOME this as well!

1 comment:

  1. Since Stein transcribes conversations with first graders I think it's time to mention:

    BabyPresident!

    http://twitter.com/#!/babypresident

    ReplyDelete