Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book Poems

These are fun, I can't wait to do more:


I Used to Know That
To Kill a Mockingbird
rosie
In the Night Kitchen (,)
The Plague
Girl Interrupted
Phone Calls From The Dead


The Golden Mean

Since You Asked
Consider Love
Sunny Side Down


Gods, Graves, and Scholars
Call it Sleep
Ordinary People
White Noise
Waverley
Runaway Horses
Leaving Home


And here is the poem by Louise Gluck from my memorization:

The Rock

Insignia
of the earth's
terrible recesses, spirit
of darkness, of
the criminal mind, I feel
certain there is within you
something human, to be
approached in speech. How else
did you approach Eve
with your addictive
information? I have paid
bitterly for her
lapse, therefore
attend to me. Tell me
how you live in hell,
what is required in hell,
for I would send
my beloved there. Not
of course forever:
I may want him
back sometime, not
permanently harmed but
severely chastened,
as he has not been, here
on the surface. What
shall I give him for
protection, what
shield that will not
wholly screen him? You must be
his guide and master: help him
shed his skin
as you do, though in this case
we want him
older underneath, maybe
a little mousy. I feel confident
you understand these
subtleties--you seem
so interested, you do not
slide back under your rock! Oh
I am sure we are somehow related
even if you are not
human; perhaps I have
the soul of a reptile after all.


And on a side note in relation to the poet's relationship to their speaker, I was thinking, or maybe hoping, that everyone’s speaker has something that makes them whole that the writer doesn’t have— something separate from and outside of the writer that completes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment